The Aquarist II is responsible for performing general aquarium husbandry duties without direct supervision. This responsibility includes the setup, maintenance and care of aquarium exhibits, preparing and dispensing specimen food, treating organisms for diseases and assisting with the collecting effort. maintains all responsibilities and skills from the Aquarist position, and also has the knowledge
• Provide in tank maintenance including scrubbing algae, vacuuming sand, cleaning windows, removing decorations for acid washing, and redecorating
• Prepare fish and marine life diets; thaw food product and prepare food as dictated by food charts
• Check the health and appearance of the fish on a daily basis and report any problems immediately to the line Manager
• Check pumps and filters and report any filtration problems to the Aquarium Manager.
• Perform housekeeping duties.
• Assist with water changes as assigned
• Perform quarantine procedures including observation of new specimen, detection of diseases under supervision
• Assist in changing tank displays and graphics
• Interpret results from water quality tests and make adjustments to tanks as needed
• Perform basic laboratory duties as assigned including slide preparation; perform necropsy
• Assist in the collection of specimens
• Other duties and special projects as assigned
• Must possess prior experience with aquarium systems and tropical fish
• Must possess mechanical aptitude and have the knowledge to use basic power and hand tools
• Must be able to work with chemicals and have knowledge of basic chemistry.
• Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs.; must be able to work in and around cold saltwater and electrical equipment
• Must be physical able to sit, stand ,walk ,duck ,crawl climb stairs and ladders, work at heights with fall protection,
• Must be able to read, write and speak in English.
• Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Must possess a valid driver license and be able to operate vehicles.
• Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Must be available to work weekends, holidays and evenings as assigned
• Must possess the mental and physical capacities necessary to perform the job duties